Coconut Cherry Cupcakes with Buttercream Swirl Frosting
For the cupcakes:
195g self raising flour
130g caster sugar
70g dessicated coconut
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
100g roughly chopped glace cherries
1.Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees c/gas mark 4, and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time and incorporate into the mix.
3. Add the lemon zest and vanilla, and beat well. Add the coconut and sieve in the salt, baking powder and flour, mixing well.
4. Add the milk, then fold in the chopped cherry pieces. Divide the mix evenly between the paper cupcake cases, and bake for approximately 20 minutes until just golden. To check they are done, insert a cocktail stick into one of your cupcakes, and if it comes out clean, they’re ready! Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make your frosting.
For the frosting
110 g soft butter
230g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
1 drop of red food colouring
Extra dessicated coconut for sprinkles
1. cream the butter, then add the vanilla extract and half the sugar, mixing well.
2. Add remaining sugar and milk, then divide the mixture evenly and place into two separate bowls.