Chicken, Oregano and Butternut Squash Risotto with Mascarpone
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 large butternut squash
1 bunch oregano
1 litre chicken stock
1 finely chopped red onion
150 g risotto rice
85 g finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 dessert spoons of mascarpone
Left over shredded chicken pieces,
2tbsp olive oil
50g softened butter
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
15oml dry white wine
Handful of toasted pumpkin seeds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the squash into quarters and remove the seeds. Place in a roasting pan, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, scatter over the oregano.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes, until the flesh is soft and the skin has shrivelled.
3. Remove the flesh, chop into small chunks and leave to cool.
For the risotto:
1. Heat the chicken stock and keep warm.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
3. Add the rice and stir off the heat until all grains are coated.
4. Add the white wine and stir until slightly reduced.
5. Add 2 ladles of stock — enough to cover the rice — and simmer until the rice has absorbed all the stock. Repeat this process until the rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid. This should take about 15 minutes.
6. Stir in the squash and chicken pieces and stir briefly.
7. Finish with the parmesan and mascarpone and season to taste. Serve immediately, garnished with the pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of olive oil.