Maple and Pecan Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding
5 hot cross buns, cut in half
50g unsalted butter (softened)
450ml double cream
8 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod
100g caster sugar (plus some extra)
3tbsp maple syrup
1. Butter the buns. Split the vanilla pod and put into a saucepan with the cream, milk and syrup and bring to the boil.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Allow the cream to cool slightly, then strain on to the egg mixture. Mix well to combine.
3. Arrange in a 1.5 ltr pudding dish in 3 layers, sprinkling nuts and fruit between. Pour over the custard mix, lightly pressing the bread to help soak in. Leave to stand for 20 minutes before cooking to ensure that the buns absorb all the custard.
4. Fill a roasting tray ¾ of the way with warm water and place the dish inside. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 180oC, until pudding begins to set.
5. Remove and sprinkle liberally with caster sugar, then glaze under a grill (or with a blow torch) to a golden finish. Serve with clotted cream!