Irish Cream Bread and Butter Pudding with Cream
100g butter, softened
½ loaf of white farmhouse bread, sliced
3 large free-range egg yolks
2 large free-range eggs
40g caster sugar
300ml double cream
2 drops vanilla extract
5 tbsp. Irish cream liqueur
20g demerara sugar
double cream to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F/Gas mark 4, then butter a 1 ½ litre ovenproof dish with half the butter
2. Spread the bread slices with the remaining butter on both sides. Cut the bread into triangles and overlap layers of bread with sultanas in the greased dish.
3. Beat the egg yolks, whole eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy. Beat in the cream, milk, vanilla extract and Irish cream.
4. Pour the mixture over the bread and press down the bread slices until submerged. Leave to stand for 20 mins to allow the bread to soak up the liquid.
5. Place the dish into a roasting tray and add enough water to come halfway up the dish (this is called a bain-marie). Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
6. To serve, place a portion of bread and butter pudding on each plate and pour over the double cream.