Praline and Chocolate Lollipops
300ml whole milk
125g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
4 egg yolks
80g caster sugar
350ml whipping cream
For the praline:
100g granulated sugar
100g hazelnuts, toasted
- Place the milk and 85g of the chocolate into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until smooth.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale, then slowly add the milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Strain the custard mixture into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring until it’s thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool for at least an hour, stirring from time to time to prevent a skin from forming.
- To make the praline, brush a baking tray with some oil, then put the sugar, water and all but 10g of the nuts in a heavy-based saucepan and heat gently. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 5 - 10 minutes until it’s golden brown in colour, but avoid stirring and take care not to allow it to burn.
- Pour the praline mixture onto the prepared baking tray, spreading evenly, and leave until cold and hardened before roughly crushing in a food processor.
- Fold the custard into the whipped cream, then pour into an ice cream machine and churn. Just before it freezes, add the praline. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can blitz the mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- Spoon into lollipop moulds, then insert the sticks into the centres. Push down, then place into the freezer until firm.
- Gently melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water, then allow to cool, and chop the remaining nuts. Remove the lollies from the freezer, roll in the melted chocolate and sprinkle on the nuts!