6-Hour Braised Lamb Shoulder
2.2kg blade end shoulder of lamb
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 banana shallots, peeled
10 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
24 garlic cloves (about 2 bulbs), peeled
500ml red wine (merlot is good)
Crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Rub the lamb with olive oil and season with crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Place the lamb in a heavy based wasting tin with shallots and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain off any fat. Add the thyme sprigs and the garlic. Reduce the oven temperature to 130C/275F/gas mark 1. Return the lamb to the oven, covering the tin lightly with foil, and cook for 4 1/2 hours.
3. Pour the red wine into the pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Remove the roasting tin and pour the red wine over the lamb. Return the lamb to the oven, covered, and cook for a further hour.
4. Remove the lamb from the oven, and carefully put the lamb, garlic and shallots into a warm serving dish. Be careful, as the lamb should just be falling off the bone. Cover, and set aside to rest.
5. Place the roasting tin over a high flame and heat the wine juices. Skim off any fat and stir in the chopped thyme. Season with crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the lamb, and serve.