Stir Up Christmas Pudding
225g suet or vegetarian suet
225g golden castor sugar
900g mixed sultanas, raisins and currants,
2 peeled, cored and grated cooking apples,
120g plain flour,
120g candied chopped peel,
60g whole peeled almonds roughly chopped
Zest of 1 lemon and orange
1 1/2 tbsp. mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
160ml brandy or rum,
Extra splash of chosen alcohol for storing,
1. Mix all dry ingredients together, then mix up the wet ingredients and add to the dry.
2. Grease two pudding bowls and fill ¾ full, then top off with baking parchment and tin foil, tie with string and put in a large pan on top of an upside down saucer.
3. Fill pan with water so it's around ¾ full, then cover and steam for 6 hours, topping up water as the puddings steam.
4. When cooked, remove carefully and cool slightly. Then, take the pudding tops off and add a splash of brandy or rum. Recover with fresh parchment and foil, then store until Christmas day.
5. To reheat, steam for two hours and serve with your choice of custard, brandy butter or cream!