Barbecue Baked Bean and Chicken Cassoulet
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 boneless free-range chicken thighs, skin on
3 rashers smoked bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon chilli powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 415g cans baked beans, drained
200g smoked sausage, sliced into 0.5cm thick slices
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
100ml tomato ketchup
50g brown sugar
250m1 good chicken stock
1 small red chilli, deseeded and diced
Crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and sear the chicken thighs for 1 minute on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Fry the bacon in the chicken oil for 2 minutes until crisp then add the onion, chilli powder and garlic and cook for 1 minute to soften.
4. Put all the remaining ingredients in a 3.5-litre casserole dish. Add the sautéed onion mixture and stir well to combine. Place the sealed chicken thighs on top, put the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken, stir the bean and sausage mixture and replace the chicken on top. Cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes off the heat before serving.